Training for the Next Big Race in Southern Illinois

Shawn Gossman

Forum Admin
Staff member
Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Charter Member
Hey there,

Anyone training for an upcoming cycling race or event in Southern Illinois?

Share your training schedules, tips, and experiences.

Whether you’re a seasoned racer or a first timer, let’s support each other in getting race-ready!

Next race in SoIL is a crit in Edwardsville. Definitely a great event, or at least it was last year. The whole town shows up to support the races.

Just raced the Tour Von Brats in Highland, 28 mile road race. Podiumed in my age group. Training--get out there 3 to 4 days a week for at least an hour and do intervals every other ride. Get sufficient protein. Know your limitations. Group ride each week for comfort in pace line and next to each other. Cut fat with strength training, appropriate caffeine use and not eating after 6 PM. Next are MTB races. Good luck!

I've been looking for a place to train sand work, but no. Typically, i'll spend more time on the MTB on trails getting more comfortable.
Too bad they didn't have a local course that lets people pay a little to train on it.

Usually these take place in a park, and depending on the technicality of it you can get a lot in a small space. Courses are typically 1.5-3 miles in length.
I see.

I've always thought they looked like a lot of fun.

Back