Southern Illinois Cycling Community

Rend Lake Bike Trail

Welcome to our community

Be apart of the ONLY Southern Illinois Cycling Community, Register Today, It's Free!

Shawn Gossman

Forum Admin
Staff member
Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Charter Member
What do you all think about Rend Lake Bike Trail?

We bike it every year around July 4th. About 12 miles of trail total. 95% concrete path. The other 5% is paved with some gravel here and there on top of it. It's only a short piece.

Road bikes would work on it, but I used my gravel bike.

Heard that there is a plan to put the path all the way around the lake at some point.

I get stressed riding on bike trails. I'm not the fastest guy around but I ride kinda fast and don't want to put others at risk.
Heck man, people are flying past me on e-bikes all the time. They're going fast enough where if they hit me, it would be like getting hit by a motorcycle! So, let'em rip tater chip!

What do you all think about Rend Lake Bike Trail?

We bike it every year around July 4th. About 12 miles of trail total. 95% concrete path. The other 5% is paved with some gravel here and there on top of it. It's only a short piece.

Road bikes would work on it, but I used my gravel bike.

Heard that there is a plan to put the path all the way around the lake at some point.
Putting a path completely around the lake is not likely. The northern areas are remote and don’t have campgrounds or other amenities other than hunting and fishing access.

However, there are some great county roads around the north side. 21 Mine Road from Illinois 154 north to Spruce Road will get you to Waltonville. And there’s a nice section of road near Nason on the northern “V” of the lake.

The northeast route along the lake is more problematic. From Bonnie down to Ina, I-57 and IL-37 run parallel close to the lake. I would highly advise to avoid riding on IL-37. There is a jog out to the east on some lightly traveled roads as an alternative if you want to make a complete circumnavigation of the lake.

Back