Patch or change...

Shawn Gossman

Forum Admin
Staff member
Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Charter Member
For those of you who use a tube:

If you get a flat, will you patch the tube or just change it out? Being if the tube is just patchable or do you just bring a spare and change it?

I've always just changed the tube and never patched it.

If the tube is still in good shape, I will always patch it at home and use it on non-race bikes. Will put on a bike I race on the front wheel only since 95% of my flats occur on the rear due to me having most of my weight shifted to the back of the bike. I prefer to have my seats moved far back for less stress on the knees, additional power (especially up hills), and since I do not spin usually above 85 and hunch over like a triathlete on aero bars. With age I also learned you may have to lower the seat slightly since the tendons have shortened a bit and can get irritated if the seat is too high.

Haven't made the shift to tubeless yet as still seeing others get flats on them and having to put a tube in to finish a group ride. I may be behind the times on the tech, and the newer rims are better now. Tubes vs. tubeless still a very debatable issue. Curious Rom if you have had any flats?

Back