Hydration strategies

Shawn Gossman

Forum Admin
Staff member
Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Charter Member
Staying hydrated on the bike is very important.

That is especially true if you ride in the heat and humidity we've had lately.

How do you effectively stay hydrated?

Do you have a certain strategy? Hydration mix go-to? Fueling process?

What do you do to stay hydrated on your rides?

Lots of fluids pre-, during-, and post-ride. Typically 1L pre and post and as much as I can drink during. If I'm riding hard and in the sun for a lot of the ride i will go through 1.5 bottles an hour, so sometimes I bring a 3rd bottle in the back pocket just to keep hydration. If that isn't the play, most gas stations will let you fill up with water at their soda machine. I used Sword hydration/carb mix for the longest time. However, I did Skratch a few weeks ago and that was nice too. Moral of the story, drink and don't be afraid to stop and refill if you need it. Better to have to stop and pee than pass out on the road.

I've used Scratch but here lately I've got into LMNT which is pretty much flavored salt.

I've used Scratch but here lately I've got into LMNT which is pretty much flavored salt.
I tried it before because i was battling some muscular issues, turned out to not be too little salt intake. It was okay, i think it would be too heavy for on the bike when I'm breathing out of my ears.

Back