Fueling Your Ride: Best Nutrition Practices for Cyclists

Shawn Gossman

Forum Admin
Staff member
Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Charter Member
Proper nutrition is vital for maintaining energy levels and optimizing performance on the bike. Eating the right foods before, during, and after your ride can make a significant difference. Before your ride, focus on a balanced meal with carbs, proteins, and healthy fats. During the ride, quick energy sources like bananas, energy bars, and electrolyte drinks are crucial. After your ride, a recovery meal with proteins and carbs helps replenish your muscles.

What is your go-to foods for cycling nutrition?

How do you plan your meals around your rides to ensure optimal performance and recovery?

Ride nutrition is always BCAAs only, when cutting weight, but add honey if not. Coffee prior if AM ride. Bonk will come on with an AM ride for me at about and hour and a half if I have not eaten breakfast and not taken in carbs, so know to start consuming at that point. After ride I enjoy a cranberry or apple juice quick carb replacement, and a salty soft pretzel for complex carbs. Then protein intake for next meal of sardines, peanut butter, salmon, cod, hamburger, smoothie with protein powder or protein powder drink.

I'm so bad at this.

Before riding I try to get atleast a decent meal in 2 hours prior. During, i throw in whatever because I'm burning. After, protien is big, but mostly I'm just trying to get fuel in to recover for tomorrows ride.

I'm bad at eating period.

I do eat healthy quite a bit but I also eat unhealthy too!

I'm bad at eating period.

I do eat healthy quite a bit but I also eat unhealthy too!
Same. I meal prepped homemade chipotle chicken bowls, but then I had ice cream for desert last night.

Back