Dogs

Shawn Gossman

Forum Admin
Staff member
Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Charter Member
Do you ever have issues with dogs while riding?

What's your solution?

Yell...or if they look friendly sometimes i stop for an endorphin boost.
I always stop and try to calm the dog down and pet it. I've thought about bringing treats and tossing them to the dogs each time. Make them run up the drive to get a treat rather than a piece of me lol

Man, there is never a correct answer here Shawn. I've done it all. I avoid mace because the owner may be tracking you down lol. If they are at a distance, I am like ROM, sprint and enjoy it. If don't think I can get by them because they saw me coming, I will slow and play it by ear, usually they will come to the side of the road, then retreat. If they come out into the road, I stop. Just see what they will do. Usually they stop and get bored. If aggressive, I get off and the bike goes between me and them, or I slowly back away. Can't say I can give advice here. Have experienced ankle biters and those nearly crashing my bike by getting in front of me, so not much fun.

Last edited:
Some riders spray their water bottle at them. Usually works, but not foolproof. I need my water lol.

I was chased by some pitbull looking dogs in the Ozarks 2 month ago.

Had some dogs run after me on a rural highway again a month ago in Ozarks.

I thought they would stop at the property line but both sets of dogs never backed off.

Unfortunate need to make sure I've always got a little bit left in the tank ( legs ) so I can put the hammer down if need be lol...

Neither set responded to "good dog" lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Wop
I was chased by some pitbull looking dogs in the Ozarks 2 month ago.

Had some dogs run after me on a rural highway again a month ago in Ozarks.

I thought they would stop at the property line but both sets of dogs never backed off.

Unfortunate need to make sure I've always got a little bit left in the tank ( legs ) so I can put the hammer down if need be lol...

Neither set responded to "good dog" lol

I'm guessing they didn't respond to "go home!" either :(

I'm guessing they didn't respond to "go home!" either :(
I'll try "go home" next time

Second set of dogs was at night - I could only see their glowing eyes shining and moving like green marbles from my headlamp as they ran across their yard - lol

• Wow
Reactions: Rom
Back