Southern Illinois Cycling Community

Dogs

Welcome to our community

Be apart of the ONLY Southern Illinois Cycling Community, Register Today, It's Free!

Man, there is never a correct answer here Shawn. I've done it all. I avoid mace because the owner may be tracking you down lol. If they are at a distance, I am like ROM, sprint and enjoy it. If don't think I can get by them because they saw me coming, I will slow and play it by ear, usually they will come to the side of the road, then retreat. If they come out into the road, I stop. Just see what they will do. Usually they stop and get bored. If aggressive, I get off and the bike goes between me and them, or I slowly back away. Can't say I can give advice here. Have experienced ankle biters and those nearly crashing my bike by getting in front of me, so not much fun.

Last edited:
I was chased by some pitbull looking dogs in the Ozarks 2 month ago.

Had some dogs run after me on a rural highway again a month ago in Ozarks.

I thought they would stop at the property line but both sets of dogs never backed off.

Unfortunate need to make sure I've always got a little bit left in the tank ( legs ) so I can put the hammer down if need be lol...

Neither set responded to "good dog" lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Wop
I was chased by some pitbull looking dogs in the Ozarks 2 month ago.

Had some dogs run after me on a rural highway again a month ago in Ozarks.

I thought they would stop at the property line but both sets of dogs never backed off.

Unfortunate need to make sure I've always got a little bit left in the tank ( legs ) so I can put the hammer down if need be lol...

Neither set responded to "good dog" lol

I'm guessing they didn't respond to "go home!" either :(

Back