Dog Defense

Shawn Gossman

Forum Admin
Staff member
Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Charter Member
How would you rate Southern Illinois in terms of it having a dog problem for cyclists?

How do you defend yourself from dogs while on the trail?

Have you ever had to defend yourself from a dog while cycling in Southern Illinois?

I've been pretty lucky with dogs, typically i'll stop and pet it.
I've always tried to stop and talk to the dog to let it see that I'm not a threat. I keep meaning to buy some treats to give to them.

I can assure you that the dogs in Southern Illinois are no problem compared to the dogs in the Ozarks. People there have no notion of the concept of keeping your dog in your yard.

The only dogs that worry me are the pit bulls. In 40 years of cycling, only 3 dogs have earnestly tried to bite me and all were pit bulls. One got me on the ankle earlier this year. No negotiating with those bastards.

I can assure you that the dogs in Southern Illinois are no problem compared to the dogs in the Ozarks. People there have no notion of the concept of keeping your dog in your yard.

The only dogs that worry me are the pit bulls. In 40 years of cycling, only 3 dogs have earnestly tried to bite me and all were pit bulls. One got me on the ankle earlier this year. No negotiating with those bastards.
Pits can be vicious. Herd protection animals can be a bit scary, too!

You know, I hear all the TransAm riders say Kentucky is the worst when it comes to dogs.

Pits can be vicious. Herd protection animals can be a bit scary, too!

You know, I hear all the TransAm riders say Kentucky is the worst when it comes to dogs.
What I’ve found is that the further back in the woods you get, the less likely people control their animals. These are the same people who put up “No Trespassing” signs in front of their dilapidated double-wides and broken down vehicles. They think we might mistake their property for a state park.

Back