Southern Illinois Cycling Community

Car Radars

Welcome to our community

Be apart of the ONLY Southern Illinois Cycling Community, Register Today, It's Free!

Shawn Gossman

Forum Admin
Staff member
Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Charter Member
I've been seeing car radars becoming more and more popular.

This is tech you can put on your bike to alert you when a vehicle is approaching you.

Are any of you using this tech at all?

If yes, how has it been for you and what ones are you using?

If not, is it something you'd consider and if not, why not?

I currently don't, but that is purely a fiscal problem for me. I love the idea. That being said, just because I know the car is coming isn't going to prevent them from forcing me to become one with the asphalt.

I love my radar. @Rom is quite correct that is will not do *much* for not being hit by a distracted rider, but there are other advantages such as seeing the count of cars behind me before making a left turn. I can keep track of traffic, slowing or speeding up as necessary, and time my actual look back over the shoulder before changing lanes. I view the radar much like a car mirror actually, I use the rear view mirror to keep track of traffic, then actually turn and look over my shoulder to make sure it is clear.

In group rides, I still use the rear mirror attached to my glasses. I particularly like the "Take A Look Activity Mirror". The mirror helps me keep track of the group without constantly looking back over my shoulder.

I love my radar. @Rom is quite correct that is will not do *much* for not being hit by a distracted rider, but there are other advantages such as seeing the count of cars behind me before making a left turn. I can keep track of traffic, slowing or speeding up as necessary, and time my actual look back over the shoulder before changing lanes. I view the radar much like a car mirror actually, I use the rear view mirror to keep track of traffic, then actually turn and look over my shoulder to make sure it is clear.

In group rides, I still use the rear mirror attached to my glasses. I particularly like the "Take A Look Activity Mirror". The mirror helps me keep track of the group without constantly looking back over my shoulder.
Never thought to use it like that. Great call on using it as a rearview mirror.

What one do you use?
Lost track of your question :rolleyes:

I have the Garmin Varia (no camera)
The new Trek "CarBack" is getting decent reviews at the same retail price. If you are patient you can typically find the Varia on sale a couple times a year for $150. A club member has the CYCLIQ radar and likes it. (He is a maverick and also runs the Hammerhead Karoo 2 also!)

Lost track of your question :rolleyes:

I have the Garmin Varia (no camera)
The new Trek "CarBack" is getting decent reviews at the same retail price. If you are patient you can typically find the Varia on sale a couple times a year for $150. A club member has the CYCLIQ radar and likes it. (He is a maverick and also runs the Hammerhead Karoo 2 also!)
I need to get one.

@618Gravel what's the one you got?

Using the Bike Peddler mirror and the Cygolite Hypershot 350 rear flasher.

An extremely bright rear flashing light will hopefully get the attention of a distracted driver. This light is visible for approximately 2 miles in bright daylight.

Another key is to avoid roads with traffic. Here in southern Illinois that is fairly easy. I had a ride last week where I counted vehicles. 9 vehicles in 33 miles. Mostly farm traffic.

Using the Bike Peddler mirror and the Cygolite Hypershot 350 rear flasher.

An extremely bright rear flashing light will hopefully get the attention of a distracted driver. This light is visible for approximately 2 miles in bright daylight.

Another key is to avoid roads with traffic. Here in southern Illinois that is fairly easy. I had a ride last week where I counted vehicles. 9 vehicles in 33 miles. Mostly farm traffic.
I bought higher end Nite Rider lights so I could get something bright. @Bike Surgeon SOIL said let's give you a light that will piss someone off LOL

Back