Southern Illinois Cycling Attitude

Shawn Gossman

Forum Admin
Staff member
Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Charter Member
How do you feel about the general attitude of Southern Illinois when it comes to cyclists?

For the most part, do you feel like most people in Southern Illinois happily accept cyclists?

I think for the most part in the Carbondale/Marion area most people are pretty tolerant of us. I have the occasional issue, but for the most part its fine.

I think for the most part in the Carbondale/Marion area most people are pretty tolerant of us. I have the occasional issue, but for the most part its fine.
I agree.

Anywhere were there are bike lanes and trails I think tolerates cyclists.

I've not really had too many issues.

I always hear Pulaski County folks don't want cyclists around, but I think it's probably just a few.

I agree.

Anywhere were there are bike lanes and trails I think tolerates cyclists.

I've not really had too many issues.

I always hear Pulaski County folks don't want cyclists around, but I think it's probably just a few.
I say all that, but we do have quite a few of the older generation and from my experience the most dangerous drivers fall in that group. I rarely get buzzed or nearly hit by someone on their phone, its always a retirement age human not paying attention. Last night at the refuge I nearly got side swiped by a car just simply not seeing me and coming across the whole road to nearly run me off the road.

Most of the people that has almost hit me were definitely elderly.

They don't say sorry. They just look confused. I don't get confrontational with older people as a general rule. I usually just keep riding and forget about it.

Reactions: Rom
Back