Southern Illinois Cycling Community

Is Southern Illinois missing out on organized rides?

Welcome to our community

Be apart of the ONLY Southern Illinois Cycling Community, Register Today, It's Free!

Shawn Gossman

Forum Admin
Staff member
Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Charter Member
We've had some amazing, organized bike rides and events over the years.

Many of them have died out or are dying out, sadly.

There used to be a race series held in Marion and John A. Logan where they had a TT, road race, and more. Omnium I think it was.

A local hospital used to put a big one on.

Kiwanis in Rend Lake had a great one at one time.

The Colorfest Biathlon was also a good one mixed with running.

Tour de Shawnee is another one that has died out.

Superman Ride in Metropolis isn't as big as it was.

But I don't think cycling events are dead in Southern Illinois...

I helped direct one this year in Vienna; over 100 riders showed up. We're doing it again next year.

I think the issue is marketing and lack of local cyclist support. I think bike shops and local riders need to be more proactive about marketing these events. Bike shops especially. I'm not saying need to spend money. They just need to inform more about it. The same with riders.

How does everyone feel about this?

I wouldn't necessarily agree. These events are well known within the local community and are typically discussed over the course of the year. I think people realized that these organized rides aren't really worth it in the same way. We ride these roads all the time.

These events are very difficult to organize as well. Many folks don't want to devote that much time. I've seen how much work the Dirty South Roubaix is from an outsider on the fringe of being in it. The other thing is, all the events you have mentioned besides the tour de rail trail you did last year are road events. Road in general is dying around the country anyway, things like gravel and specifically DSR are booming. Just gotta look at the lifetime grand prix to see that.

Long story short. I speak with lots of cyclists in the area about riding and rides. I try to support as many events as I can. What else are we supposed to do?

What else are we supposed to do?
Maybe we should evolve.

You said road is starting to die out. Maybe we need more organized gravel bike ride events.

I don't see many of those. I'm talking just riding, not so much a sanctioned race like DSR.

Hmmm. Maybe this forum can start an "unofficial gravel organized ride" and then see where it goes.

Maybe we should evolve.

You said road is starting to die out. Maybe we need more organized gravel bike ride events.

I don't see many of those. I'm talking just riding, not so much a sanctioned race like DSR.

Hmmm. Maybe this forum can start an "unofficial gravel organized ride" and then see where it goes.
That's how the DSR got started so it would be cool, i just hate riding gravel. All the problems of riding mtb, slow speed and dirty, without the fun of riding mtb, jumps and what not. Idk, it's not my bag but there are a lot of people into it. Lot's of people down here really do enjoy solo riding, I mean i talk to people at the shop and most say the prefer riding solo and then get super nervous in groups. I think we have to battle that aspect before we can get any significant ride.

That's how the DSR got started so it would be cool, i just hate riding gravel. All the problems of riding mtb, slow speed and dirty, without the fun of riding mtb, jumps and what not. Idk, it's not my bag but there are a lot of people into it. Lot's of people down here really do enjoy solo riding, I mean i talk to people at the shop and most say the prefer riding solo and then get super nervous in groups. I think we have to battle that aspect before we can get any significant ride.
I prefer riding alone or with one or two more people.

It's not that I'm anti-social.

My fear is drafting. I'm afraid of wrecking.

Both sentiments are (not surprisingly) correct within their perspectives. Organized rides are not very successful with people who are already normally riding the same roads. You must have good participation from folks from farther afield. (like me ;)) However, having local riders participating is still important for bulking up the number of riders as well as having people around with local knowledge. It is fun to meet new people from other places.

I would suggest you also need a "feel good" hook. Examples are the TOSOC in Oregon, the Prairie Pedal in Decatur, and many others. I assume (maybe?) you are familiar with the Ride Illinois Guide for lots more examples
P.S. That is my route as the 2024 "route to ride"!

Both sentiments are (not surprisingly) correct within their perspectives. Organized rides are not very successful with people who are already normally riding the same roads. You must have good participation from folks from farther afield. (like me ;)) However, having local riders participating is still important for bulking up the number of riders as well as having people around with local knowledge. It is fun to meet new people from other places.

I would suggest you also need a "feel good" hook. Examples are the TOSOC in Oregon, the Prairie Pedal in Decatur, and many others. I assume (maybe?) you are familiar with the Ride Illinois Guide for lots more examples
P.S. That is my route as the 2024 "route to ride"!
I'm actually hosting a Ride Illinois bike ride the 20th at Tunnel Hill.

10 mile no drop.

We've had some amazing, organized bike rides and events over the years.

Many of them have died out or are dying out, sadly.

There used to be a race series held in Marion and John A. Logan where they had a TT, road race, and more. Omnium I think it was.

A local hospital used to put a big one on.

Kiwanis in Rend Lake had a great one at one time.

The Colorfest Biathlon was also a good one mixed with running.

Tour de Shawnee is another one that has died out.

Superman Ride in Metropolis isn't as big as it was.

But I don't think cycling events are dead in Southern Illinois...

I helped direct one this year in Vienna; over 100 riders showed up. We're doing it again next year.

I think the issue is marketing and lack of local cyclist support. I think bike shops and local riders need to be more proactive about marketing these events. Bike shops especially. I'm not saying need to spend money. They just need to inform more about it. The same with riders.

How does everyone feel about this?
The omnium you refer to was the Great Egyptian Omnium which I raced. Road race was in Creel Springs. Logan college was a great crit course. Yes, it was fun and a good weekend event, but no spectators. I don't understand why cycling races always focus on greater distances the more advanced you get, same with running. Watching a mile race beats a 10K, and is also healthier for the athlete. Is more fun, healthier for the body, and draws more spectators if they can watch the events, this means shorter. Road races, forget it. Mountain bike races and crits could be shortened in time and length for more exciting races. Shouldn't have to go long distances and be bone thin to compete. Gets boring watching a crit for 50 minutes until the real racing starts in the last 5 laps. A 10 lap race on a half mile loop is way more exciting. Same with mountain biking, why an 8 or 10 mile loop when could be a mile or two loop with a couple laps. Anyway, plenty of organized rides in the state to pay or go free. Weekly or bi-weekly rides from most bike shops. In SW IL, St. Nicholas Brewery has rides from DuQuoin, Murphysboro and Steelville weekly.

Back