Southern Illinois Cycling Community

Electronic everything...

Welcome to our community

Be apart of the ONLY Southern Illinois Cycling Community, Register Today, It's Free!

Shawn Gossman

Forum Admin
Staff member
Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Charter Member
I'm not talking about e-Bikes here but maybe "almost e-Bikes" in a roundabout way.

My checkpoint gravel bike has SRAM AXS on it. That's electric shifting using a battery powered shifter. It's sweet but to the uninformed, it's not anything e-Bike related. There is no pedal assist,

Now I just read about electric braking and that in 10-15 years, it'll be the norm on bikes.

If my battery dies on my AXS, I am stuck in a certain gear. If my brake battery dies, does that mean I have no brakes?

At what point do we say stop?

Are you losing traditional bikes?

How do you all feel about this?

I'm not talking about e-Bikes here but maybe "almost e-Bikes" in a roundabout way.

My checkpoint gravel bike has SRAM AXS on it. That's electric shifting using a battery powered shifter. It's sweet but to the uninformed, it's not anything e-Bike related. There is no pedal assist,

Now I just read about electric braking and that in 10-15 years, it'll be the norm on bikes.

If my battery dies on my AXS, I am stuck in a certain gear. If my brake battery dies, does that mean I have no brakes?

At what point do we say stop?

Are you losing traditional bikes?

How do you all feel about this?
I still prefer rim brakes on bikes so that tells u something.

E-shifting is fine, especially with axs. It simply works and is more consistent than mechanical cables, however the maintainence is a bit more. E-braking, i'll take a pass on that. Hydraulics are a proven method for brake actuation, so that I'm fine with.

As for "losing traditional bikes", it all depends on what you deem a traditional bike. There are still people around who were riding 5-8 speed steel bikes with 19mm tires pumped up to 150psi when they were younger. As far as the traditional bike goes it's gone, been gone. The double diamond shape isn't going anywhere, the general shape of a bike is the only thing that's the same as prime 1950 race bike. Everything else has progressed to allow for more enjoyment while riding (faster/comfier), for this I am thankful.

I still prefer rim brakes on bikes so that tells u something.
Nothing wrong with that. It's simple to change them. It's expensive and takes an expert to change most disc brakes!

E-shifting is fine, especially with axs. It simply works and is more consistent than mechanical cables, however the maintainence is a bit more. E-braking, i'll take a pass on that. Hydraulics are a proven method for brake actuation, so that I'm fine with.

As for "losing traditional bikes", it all depends on what you deem a traditional bike. There are still people around who were riding 5-8 speed steel bikes with 19mm tires pumped up to 150psi when they were younger. As far as the traditional bike goes it's gone, been gone. The double diamond shape isn't going anywhere, the general shape of a bike is the only thing that's the same as prime 1950 race bike. Everything else has progressed to allow for more enjoyment while riding (faster/comfier), for this I am thankful.
I think I'm with you on that. I love my AXS. It's pretty efficient for shifting. And the battery lasts forever.

But braking, I'm not sure I can jump on that on.

However, I like that the e-components can be integrated into computers and tallied up with your ride analytics. It can be great for training especially for racers like you!

Nothing wrong with that. It's simple to change them. It's expensive and takes an expert to change most disc brakes!

I think I'm with you on that. I love my AXS. It's pretty efficient for shifting. And the battery lasts forever.

But braking, I'm not sure I can jump on that on.

However, I like that the e-components can be integrated into computers and tallied up with your ride analytics. It can be great for training especially for racers like you!
I wish i looked at time in gears but i don't even pay attention to that. I probably should

Well, after riding gravel in Arkansas the last week, I retract my statement of preferring rim brakes. I will keep that for road bikes, but for gravel and mtb, I prefer disc brakes now. We went down some large gravel incredibly steep hills with tight turns, sometimes going at fast speeds, and if I had rim brakes they would have been smoking or I would have had to blow course. The discs were near max and my upper body full workout for what may be a mile downhill.

Well, after riding gravel in Arkansas the last week, I retract my statement of preferring rim brakes. I will keep that for road bikes, but for gravel and mtb, I prefer disc brakes now. We went down some large gravel incredibly steep hills with tight turns, sometimes going at fast speeds, and if I had rim brakes they would have been smoking or I would have had to blow course. The discs were near max and my upper body full workout for what may be a mile downhill.
tbf, that's why I ride disc brakes even on the road bike. It allows for more "panic braking" if needed, although you shouldn't.

This is where I read about this at:

Shimano Was Granted a Patent for Electronic Brakes​

The link:

It's a Bicycling article so you might need a premium membership to read it but the sum of it is that Shimano is developing the component.

This is where I read about this at:

The link:

It's a Bicycling article so you might need a premium membership to read it but the sum of it is that Shimano is developing the component.

Seeing that it's just a patent is a good thing. They're just trying to make sure noone else gets it first. Patents don't have to work

Back