Forum Admin
Staff member
Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Charter Member
I've spent a lot of money on cycling.

My last bike was over $3K.

I last kit was around $300.

All the gadgets and gear I buy is always high priced.

I notice I am usually not alone.

Does it have to be this expensive?

Can someone buy cheap on everything and just use it right and be okay?

How do you all feel about this? Is cycling truly for everyone or is it mainly for those who're willing to spend money?

Depends on what you define as expensive. You can pop down to the Walmart and pick up a bike for $200 (which is ALOT for some folks) and start riding. You can stop by your LBS and pick up a nicer commuter for ~$500. For a few more bucks you can hop onto a beginner MTB or road/all road bike for $750-1000. However, like you said that is probably the cheapest part of cycling. A pair of gym shorts and moisture wicking shirt will only take you so far, so buying at least 1 kit from somewhere like Black Bibs is $100, obviously you can find stuff cheaper on amazon, but we'll start there. Helmets are $100, for a decent one that will actually protect your skull. For $1000 and some patience in the used market you can really get a lot, and won't feel like your equipment is holding you back until you're ready to upgrade.

All that being said. I don't know a single hobby that isn't expensive. That's why many of us have quite a few grand wrapped up in our bikes, kit, saddle bag and content, lights, gps head units, etc. Cycling becomes a lifestyle for a lot of us. TBF, it has to for someone to spend multiple hours a weeks dedicated to a single task like riding a bike and for us to call ourselves "cyclists".

TLDR: Yes you can, but once it changes from strictly fitness to a hobby, be prepared to drop the dough to impress your newly found cycling buddies at your local group ride.

Back