Southern Illinois Cycling Community

Anyone riding today?

Welcome to our community

Be apart of the ONLY Southern Illinois Cycling Community, Register Today, It's Free!

Shawn Gossman

Forum Admin
Staff member
Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Charter Member
Today the National Weather Service is predicting:

Sunny and hot, with a high near 97. Southwest wind 3 to 8 mph.

There is also a heat advisory issued. 105-to-110-degree heat indexes are possible.

Would you ride outside in these conditions?

If yes - what do you do to stay cool and safe when biking in hotter temperatures?

I went for a ride around 5:30 last night. Just an easy 1 hour out, HR was through the roof because of the heat though. When it's that hot, just start the ride with at least one extra "pouring bottle", and make sure your water is cold when you leave the house.

I did a race down in MS last weekend, similar levels of heat and in racing we use ice packed into panty hose to shove down the back of the jersey. If you're not going out for a long ride (less than an hour) this would work on a training ride. You could even just shove ice in your rear pockets to keep your core a bit cooler.

I went for a ride around 5:30 last night. Just an easy 1 hour out, HR was through the roof because of the heat though. When it's that hot, just start the ride with at least one extra "pouring bottle", and make sure your water is cold when you leave the house.

I did a race down in MS last weekend, similar levels of heat and in racing we use ice packed into panty hose to shove down the back of the jersey. If you're not going out for a long ride (less than an hour) this would work on a training ride. You could even just shove ice in your rear pockets to keep your core a bit cooler.
The Black Bibs just released a new bib that is meant for summer. I purchased a pair. I'll have to report back. I also got a jersey that is made summer from them, too.

I like the idea of the ice!

I'll have to take a look at that, still looking for a light colored skinsuit
I'd rather have lightly colored kits. But I get paranoid about transparency lol.

I have a skinsuit my Sparx. It was super cheap but it's fairly durable and has lasted a few years. I wear it mountain biking every now and then when I want to go faster and not worry about snagging my kit on limbs.

Back